Next year is make or break for Tiger, says Faldo

Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:12am EST
 
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Tony Jimenez

LONDON (Reuters) - Next season is likely to be a 'make or break' year for 14-times major winner Tiger Woods, according to former world number one Nick Faldo.

Woods turns 40 next month and is battling to recover from a follow-up procedure on his back that he underwent in October, a month after having had surgery for the second time in a year and a half.

The American has slumped from number one to 384th in the world in the last year and a half and Faldo doubts that he can climb the mountain again.

"He's got to physically get strong enough to practise hard enough to find his game again, try to compete again and then try to win again," the 58-year-old Englishman told Reuters in an interview.

"Who knows? It might be the end of the road for Tiger in a way. The hardest thing is, how determined can he be to come back?

"If he has another season like this one, mixed with poor play and injuries, what decisions will he make? If it was me, how can you pick it up?"

Faldo said Woods had simply been overtaken by the 'New Big Three' of American Jordan Spieth, Jason Day of Australia and Northern Irishman Rory McIlroy.

"When you are an athlete and you've had your time, you should be praised for that," added the winner of the 1987, 1990 and 1992 British Open and the 1989, 1990 and 1996 Masters.   Continued...

 
Aug 15, 2015; Sheboygan, WI, USA; Tiger Woods hits his tee shot on the 17th hole during the continuation of the second round of the 2015 PGA Championship golf tournament at Whistling Straits. Mandatory Credit: Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports