San Diego Chargers will stay put for 2016 season

Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:46pm EST
 
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

(Reuters) - The chairman of the San Diego Chargers said on Friday the football team would stay in San Diego for the 2016 season, though the club has reached an agreement with the Los Angeles Rams on sharing a Los Angeles-area stadium.

Chargers Chairman Dean Spanos said in a statement that he has been working with city lawmakers to find a resolution to their stadium woes. He said the team has an option to move with the Los Angeles Rams to a stadium in Inglewood next year, but added, "My focus is on San Diego."

"This has been our home for 55 years, and I want to keep the team here and provide the world-class stadium experience you deserve," he said.

San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer and San Diego County Board of Supervisors Chairman Ron Roberts said they "appreciated" the move, while National Football League Commissioner Roger Goodell applauded it.

"We are very supportive of the decision by Dean Spanos," Goodell said in a statement. "NFL ownership has committed $300 million to assist in the cost of building a new stadium in San Diego."

Still, team spokesman Jamaal LaFrance confirmed on Friday that the club has reached a tentative agreement with the Los Angeles Rams on sharing a stadium.

The news was first reported by the San Diego Union-Tribune on Friday.

Representatives for the Los Angeles Rams could not be reached immediately for comment on the announcement.

Earlier this month, owners voted overwhelmingly to give the Rams approval to return to Los Angeles for the start of the 2016 National Football League season while the Chargers have until next January to agree to lease terms with the Rams.   Continued...

 
Dean Spanos is pictured during a news conference   in San Diego, California January 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake