Rossi loses out to Indonesia but still hopeful

Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:20pm EST
 
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

(Reuters) - American Alexander Rossi said he lost his chance of racing for Manor in Formula One this season because Rio Haryanto's Indonesian backers had offered the team more money, but was hopeful the dream was not over.

"I always knew going up against a country was going to be impossible," said the Californian who raced for the team in five grands prix last year.

"We couldn't match some of what they were willing to do and sign and (Indonesia) really wanted him to be there so more power to them," he told racer.com in a story that was subsequently withdrawn from the website and replaced by a different version.

Haryanto, who is backed primarily by Indonesian state oil and gas company Pertamina, was confirmed by the team on Thursday.

The company's chief executive told reporters in Jakarta that Pertamina had contributed five million euros ($5.55 million) toward securing the seat.

Rossi told Reuters that, while he had felt 'kind of helpless' in the face of Indonesia's support for Haryanto, some of his other comments to Racer had been misconstrued.

"At the end of 2015 I felt I was in a very strong position to be in one of the race seats in 2016 but obviously being a very attractive team with the Mercedes power, it was always going to be a challenge," he said.

"I feel we did a very good job from our end to try to make it happen. But unfortunately the way the sport sometimes works, all the cards don't fall in your favor."

Rossi said he was still in "very positive discussions" with Manor about the future and hoped to return to Formula One "as soon as possible."   Continued...

 
Manor Marussia Formula One driver Alexander Rossi of the U.S. poses in pit lane at the Marina Bay street circuit ahead of the first practice session of the Singapore F1 Grand Prix September 18, 2015. REUTERS/Edgar Su