Weight loss a concern for drivers: Sainz
By Alan Baldwin
BARCELONA (Reuters) - Toro Rosso's Carlos Sainz fears he and some other Formula One drivers have had to lose so much weight before the season starts, to compensate for heavier cars, that they risk compromising their health.
"How do you tell a driver to perform at his highest level while taking into account that he needs to lose three or four kilos?," the 21-year-old Spaniard told Reuters at the first test of the year.
"It’s one thing against the other. You turn up to a test wanting to be as strong as possible but you cannot be as strong as possible because of weight (loss)," added the driver who did a massive total of 161 laps on Wednesday.
Drivers from three of the 11 teams told Reuters they needed to lose weight before the opening race in Australia on March 20.
Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo has shed three kilos, and says more must go, while Renault's Kevin Magnussen and Sainz's 18-year-old team mate Max Verstappen have been told to lose a few.
Toro Rosso and Renault have changed engine supplier since last year, with the decisions coming very late in the day and causing design headaches, but Sainz saw other reasons too.
"There are new parts, more aerodynamic parts in the car which means more carbon fiber. A longer wheelbase so the car is a bit longer which makes it a bit heavier," he said.
Cars have more cockpit protection and also an extra exhaust pipe this year. Continued...