Kyrgios hits back at Tomic in Davis Cup row
MELBOURNE (Reuters) - Nick Kyrgios has hit back at Bernard Tomic after his compatriot accused him of feigning illness to skip Australia's Davis Cup match against the United States at the weekend.
In comments to team captain Lleyton Hewitt, picked up by courtside microphones on Sunday, Tomic said Kyrgios had "faked" injuries twice to avoid Davis Cup ties.
Kyrgios withdrew from the World Group tie with a virus days before the opening singles on Friday, leaving 77th-ranked Sam Groth to battle world number 11 John Isner at Kooyong Lawn Tennis Club in Melbourne.
Groth was beaten easily by Isner and the big-serving American returned on Sunday to beat Tomic 6-4 6-4 5-7 7-6(4) and book the United States a berth in the Davis Cup quarter-finals for the first time in three years.
Kyrgios also missed Australia's first round tie against Czech Republic last year with a back injury but returned to the court at Indian Wells two weeks later.
Tomic noted in his post-match news conference on Sunday that Kyrgios was on the entry list for this year's Indian Wells tournament and said he would "lose respect" for the 20-year-old if he played.
Kyrgios responded on Twitter, suggesting he would be fit for the tournament.
"Heat of the moment, not gonna take it personally. Indian wells a week away, plenty of time," he posted.
"Just don't expect me to have your back anytime soon." Continued...