Tennis: Italian prosecutor wants dozens of players probed for betting

Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:10pm EDT
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

LONDON (Reuters) - More than two dozen players who feature in evidence collected from gamblers should be investigated for possible links to betting rings, an Italian prosecutor has told the BBC and BuzzFeed News.

Roberto di Martino said he had collected internet chat logs and telephone conversations between players and gamblers as part of a two-year probe into a suspected match-fixing ring involving Italian players.

Italian duo Potito Starace and Daniele Bracciali have already been charged. Both deny any wrongdoing and will appear in court in May.

Di Martino said the Tennis Integrity Unit (TIU) should probe the other players for possible betting links.

"Surely if these foreign players were Italian, they would certainly have been at least questioned?," Di Martino said.

"They should have provided some explanations."

The TIU responded by saying it "strongly refutes" any suggestion made by the prosecutor in Cremona, Italy, that it has ignored evidence of match-fixing in tennis.

"The TIU had been endeavoring to obtain the evidence required to substantiate allegations made against Italian players Daniele Bracciali and Potito Starace from the prosecutor’s office since October 2014," it added.

"The TIU had to engage legal counsel in Italy to obtain the information contained in Mr Di Martino’s investigation and is now listed as an injured party in the ongoing criminal   Continued...

Italy's Daniele Bracciali (R) watches as his teammate Potito Starace hits a return to the Czech Republic's Radek Stepanek and Tomas Berdych during their first round Davis Cup doubles tennis match in Ostrava February 11, 2012. REUTERS/Petr Josek