IOC says ready to sign draft Kuwait deals to lift ban
By Karolos Grohmann
BERLIN (Reuters) - The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is ready to sign either of two draft deals it says it had agreed in principle with Kuwait that would lift the ban on the country competing at the Rio de Janeiro Olympics, it said on Thursday.
Kuwait has rejected the deals which were hammered out in negotiations involving the United Nations in January.
The IOC said Kuwait's negotiators had initially agreed to the deals twice, only to be told by their government not to sign.
Kuwait officials denied they had ever agreed to those deals, which demanded changes in national laws. They accused the IOC of distorting facts.
The dispute between the IOC and Kuwait centers on a new sports law that the Olympic body says will undermine the autonomy of sport in the country. Kuwait argues it will strengthen the independence of sports bodies.
"We are still happy to accept either of those offers brokered under the auspices of the United Nations," said IOC spokesman Mark Adams. "We would be happy to sign them tomorrow."
Adams said the IOC had been surprised by Kuwait's reaction to the outcome of the January talks and that the country had blamed the Olympic body for not reaching an agreement.
"We were quite surprised by what they have been saying, particularly about the negotiations," Adams told Reuters. Continued...