U.S. women's soccer star Wambach arrested for DUI, apologizes

Sun Apr 3, 2016 6:46pm EDT
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

(Reuters) - Retired U.S. woman's soccer star Abby Wambach was arrested in Oregon on charges of driving under the influence of alcohol, an incident for which the popular player apologized on Sunday on social media.

"I take full responsibility for my actions. This is all on me," Wambach said in a statement posted on social media.

Wambach, who helped the U.S. women's team to the 2015 World Cup title and retired as the world's leading international goal-scorer, was arrested late Saturday night in Portland after police saw her run a red light in her 2014 Range Rover, according to a statement by Portland police.

She failed field sobriety tests and was booked into the Multnomah County Jail on charges of driving under the influence of intoxicants - alcohol. She was later released on her own recognizance.

"Wambach was polite and cooperative throughout the investigation," the police statement said.

In her statement, Wambach said she had been having dinner at a friend's home before she was pulled over.

She promised not to repeat her "horrible mistake" and apologized to friends, family, fans, "and those that look to follow a better example."

"Those that know me, know that I have always demanded excellence from myself," she wrote. "I have let myself and others down."

On Sunday evening, CNBC reported that officials with the car company Mini, which debuted an ad featuring Wambach and other celebrities during the Super Bowl, are "re-evaluating" the company's relationship with her and pulling ads featuring Wambach.   Continued...

Retired U.S. woman's soccer star Abby Wambach is seen in an undated booking photo released by the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office in Portland, Oregon. Wambach was arrested early Sunday morning and charged with driving under the influence (DUI), according to news reports.  REUTERS/Multnomah County Sheriff's Office/Handout via Reuters