NFL receiver Marshall cleared in civil trial of punching woman
By Nate Raymond
NEW YORK (Reuters) - New York Jets wide receiver Brandon Marshall was found not liable on Friday following a trial in a lawsuit brought by a California woman who alleged he punched her in the face outside a Manhattan nightclub in 2012.
A federal jury in Manhattan found Marshall, 32, not liable for assaulting and battering Christin Myles, 28, who said she suffered a black eye and bruised face following the run-in with the football star while she was out celebrating her birthday.
The jury of nine women and three men delivered the verdict after about an hour of deliberations following a trial that began on Tuesday. Marshall, who attended most of the trial, was not present for the verdict, but his lawyer welcomed it.
"He knew he never touched or punched her, and he was not going to pay a penny to get out of this as he knew he didn't do anything wrong," said Harvey Steinberg, Marshall's lawyer.
Lawyers sat quietly with Myles in the courtroom after the verdict was delivered. Joshua Moskovitz, one of her attorneys, declined comment.
The trial centered largely on grainy security videos that captured both a brawl inside the Marquee nightclub in March 2012 and an encounter between Marshall and Myles later outside.
In his opening statement on Tuesday, Moskovitz told jurors Marshall, at the time playing for the Miami Dolphins, slugged Myles outside the club out of a mistaken belief she had thrown a bottle at his wife.
But Steinberg argued security videos showed the National Football League player did not hit Myles, who he said had previously taken a swipe at Marshall's friend, former Jacksonville Jaguars wide receiver Mike Sims-Walker. Continued...