Ivorian soccer star Drogba threatens legal action over attacks on his charity

Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:42pm EDT
 
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Kieran Guilbert

DAKAR (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - Ivorian soccer star Didier Drogba has threatened legal action over accusations that his charity set up to help children in Africa had spent less than one percent of money raised on worthwhile projects.

The Daily Mail, Britain's second biggest selling newspaper, said on its website that 14,000 pounds out of 1.7 million pounds ($2.4 million) donated to the Didier Drogba Foundation had been used to benefit children in Ivory Coast.

Britain's Charity Commission, a state-backed watchdog, said it was investigating the charity set up in Britain in 2009 by the former Chelsea striker, citing "serious regulatory concerns".

Drogba, who now plays for Canadian Major League Soccer club Montreal Impact, denied the allegations in a strongly worded statement in which he said he would issue legal proceedings against the newspaper for "incorrect and libelous" information.

He could not be reached for further comment.

"Despite their claims, there is no fraud, no corruption, no mismanagement, no lies, no impropriety," Drogba said in a statement on Twitter and Instagram where he has 1.1 million and 3 million followers respectively.

A spokesman for the Daily Mail said the newspaper stood by its story published on Thursday and the failure of the Didier Drogba Foundation to address questions posed by its journalists.

"Despite numerous requests for a comment on the record, no substantive response was provided," the spokesman said in a statement to the Thomson Reuters Foundation on Friday.   Continued...

 
Football Soccer - Chelsea v Sunderland - Barclays Premier League - Stamford Bridge - 19/12/15
Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich and Didier Drogba after the game
Reuters / Dylan Martinez
Livepic
EDITORIAL USE ONLY.