Nibali's form under scrutiny ahead of Giro start
By Julien Pretot
PARIS (Reuters) - A big question mark hangs over Vincenzo Nibali's form as the 2014 Tour de France champion targets a second Giro d'Italia title when the three-week race starts on Friday.
The Italian, who was disqualified from last year's Vuelta (Tour of Spain) after getting a tow from his Astana team car, has failed to impress since winning the Tour of Oman in February.
Nibali, one of only six men who have won all three grand tours, prevailed on the Italian roads in 2013 and he believes his experience will help him to succeed despite his recent poor form.
"My advantage compared to other riders is that I have the experience," said Nibali, who will be taking part in his sixth Giro.
Nibali picked Giro debutant and Movistar rider Alejandro Valverde as the man who could ruin his race.
However, the 2009 Vuelta winner, who finished third overall in last year's Tour de France, could have his Giro chances hampered by the tough weather conditions expected during the May 6-29 race.
"It's a treacherous Giro," said Valverde.
Team Sky will be hoping that Spain's Mikel Landa has what it takes to give them their first victory in a grand tour outside the Tour de France. Continued...