Former champion Cink pulls out of British Open

Wed Jul 6, 2016 1:27pm EDT
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article
[-] Text [+]

LONDON (Reuters) - Former champion Stewart Cink has withdrawn from this month's British Open at Royal Troon, organizers said on Wednesday.

The 43-year-old American won the tournament at Turnberry in 2009, beating 59-year-old compatriot Tom Watson in a playoff.

Cink said in May he was taking time off the Tour to care for his wife Lisa who had been diagnosed with breast cancer.

(Reporting by Ed Osmond; Editing by Ken Ferris)

Jan 16, 2016; Honolulu, HI, USA; PGA golfer Stewart Cink tees off on the 11th hole during the third round of the Sony Open in Hawaii golf tournament at Waialae Country Club. Mandatory Credit: Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports - RTX22PCB