Matthews rushes for two touchdowns as Eagles beat Bears

Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:47am EDT
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

(The Sports Xchange) - The Philadelphia Eagles scored touchdowns on three consecutive second-half possessions, two of them short runs by Ryan Matthews and two following Chicago turnovers to beat the Bears 29-14 on Monday.

Matthews scored on runs of three yards and one yard, sandwiched around a two-yard touchdown pass from Carson Wentz to Trey Burton.

One of the touchdowns followed an interception and 28-yard return by Nigel Bradham to Chicago's two-yard line and another followed a fumble recovery by Ron Brooks.

The Bears lost turnovers on three of their first four second-half possessions and also lost starting quarterback Jay Cutler, who left the game with a hand injury following the Bradham interception.

Cutler completed 12 of 17 passes for 157 yards but was sacked three times. One of the sacks resulted in a fumble which the Eagles recovered, killing a promising drive that started the second half at a time Philadelphia led by only two points.

A short time later, the Eagles mounted their only long touchdown drive, a 68-yard march that ended with Matthews, seemingly stopped on a run into the line, able to slither out, keep his balance and stumble around the pile of bodies to the end zone. That made it 16-7.

Bradham's interception came on the first play following the kickoff, and the next play was Burton's touchdown. Three plays after the following kickoff, a Jeremy Langford fumble was recovered by Brooks, a 30-yard run by Matthews set up his second touchdown, and the rout was pretty much complete at 29-7.

Eddie Royal returned a punt 65 yards for a consolation touchdown for the Bears with 5:09 remaining.

The Eagles led 9-7 at the half on three field goals by Caleb Sturgis, the last a 53-yarder with three seconds remaining.   Continued...

Sep 19, 2016; Chicago, IL, USA; Philadelphia Eagles running back Ryan Mathews (24) scores a touchdown as Chicago Bears cornerback Tracy Porter (21) defends during the second half at Soldier Field. Philadelphia won 29-14. Mandatory Credit: Dennis Wierzbicki-USA TODAY Sports