Golf: Woods pulls out of PGA Tour event in Napa, delays comeback
(Reuters) - Tiger Woods has withdrawn from this week's Safeway Open and will not play at next month's Turkish Airlines Open, delaying his comeback after 14 months out following back surgeries.
The 14-times major champion announced on Monday on his website (www.tigerwoods.com) that his game was not sharp enough for him to compete in the PGA Tour event starting in Napa, California, on Thursday or the European Tour event in Turkey.
"After a lot of soul searching and honest reflection, I know that I am not yet ready to play on the PGA Tour or compete in Turkey," he said. "My health is good, and I feel strong, but my game is vulnerable and not where it needs to be."
Woods, 40, said the comeback delay was not due to back-related issues.
"I practiced the last several days in California, but after a lot of hours, I knew I wasn't ready to compete against the best golfers in the world," he said.
"I will continue to work hard, and plan to play at my foundation's event, the Hero World Challenge, in Albany (Bahamas in December)."
His friend, former tour player Notah Begay, said Woods' preparation had been hindered last week by Hurricane Matthew, which passed not far offshore from his south Florida residence.
WOODS DISAPPOINTED Continued...