Euro boss pleased with razzmatazz of new event

Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:31am EDT
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Tony Jimenez

WATFORD, England (Reuters) - Out went traditional golfing protocol and in came flashing lights and razzmatazz as the European Tour launched the innovative Hero Challenge one-hole knockout event ahead of this week's British Masters.

An enthusiastic crowd of more than 2,000 turned up at The Grove course on Tuesday night to watch former world number one and tournament host Luke Donald lead an eight-man professional line-up.

A floodlit par-three hole, featuring a specially constructed tee where the players made their entrances to a noisy welcome from the fans and dazzling pyrotechnics up ahead on the green, was the stage for a contest won by French pro Alexander Levy.

"It's terrific, it's under lights, who would have thought it?," tour chief executive Keith Pelley told Reuters in an interview as he surveyed the scene on the outskirts of London.

"It's pretty exciting and it's definitely a chance to be a little more innovative, try things a little bit different.

"What's really rewarding to see is the incredible fan engagement with the players, every player with a smile on his face and having a great time," said Pelley.

"It's much bigger than we would ever have anticipated and I think the players are equally surprised."

With officials around the world worried about slow play and a declining interest in golf, Pelley also announced plans earlier this year for a new six-hole event incorporating a shot clock, music, different clothes and fewer clubs in an effort to attract more followers.   Continued...