UPDATE 3-Public sector hit hard as Canada loses jobs in July
* 39,400 jobs lost in July vs forecast of 10,000 gain
* Jobless rate ticks up to 7.2 percent from 7.1 percent
* Public sector, youth hardest hit
* No change in Bank of Canada policy seen
* Employment trend consistent with mild growth
By Louise Egan
OTTAWA, Aug 9 (Reuters) - Record job losses in the public sector and scarce opportunities for young people led to unexpected weakness in the Canadian labor market in July, hinting at a sluggish economic start to the third quarter.
Canada lost a net 39,400 jobs during the month, and the unemployment rate ticked up to 7.2 percent from 7.1 percent in June, Statistics Canada said on Friday. Continued...