UPDATE 1-TransCanada could start service on Houston Lateral by early July
(Adds comment from spokesman, context of tariff filing)
HOUSTON, June 13 (Reuters) - TransCanada Corp could begin crude shipments on its Houston Lateral pipeline by July 2, which will connect its Keystone Pipeline to Houston, Texas, according to a tariff filed with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) in early June.
* The company on June 1 submitted a filing with regulators to set tariff rates on the line, which will be effective by July 2, the filing said.
* The tariff filing was required 30 days in advance of the rate becoming effective, but does not necessarily indicate a firm in-service date for the pipeline.
* The lateral will terminate at a storage terminal in Houston, Texas with initial capacity for 700,000 barrels of crude oil
* The tariff for light crude deliveries from Hardisty, Alberta to Houston, Texas will be $7.113 per barrel and the rate for heavy crude on that route will be $7.730 per barrel, the same price as shipments of crude from Hardisty to Port Arthur, Texas, according to the filing.
* "We anticipate the in-service date to be July 2016," a spokesman for TransCanada said by email on Monday. (Reporting by Liz Hampton)
© Thomson Reuters 2017 All rights reserved.