US STOCKS-Futures point to higher open, S&P 500's record in view
* U.S. stock index futures track European stocks higher
* Verizon/AT&T may make break-up bid for Vodafone -report
* February factory orders expected to show solid rise
* Goldman Sachs downgrades Hewlett-Packard, shares fall
* Futures up: Dow 48 pts, S&P 6.3 pts, Nasdaq 19.25 pts
By Ryan Vlastelica
NEW YORK, April 2 (Reuters) - U.S. stock index futures pointed to a higher open on Tuesday, suggesting a rebound from the previous session and again putting the S&P 500 within striking distance of its all-time intraday high.
The benchmark index last week set an all-time closing high, but has thus far been unable to reach its intraday record of 1,576.09, an important psychological level for investors.
While moves may be limited this week ahead of the U.S. monthly payrolls report on Friday, investors will be looking to the latest economic data for signs of economic strength. Continued...