UPDATE 1-Foreigners return to Canadian securities in Feb
(Adds sectoral breakdown)
* Foreigners buy C$6.08 bln in Canadian securities
* Sold C$4.28 bln in December, bought C$1.22 bln in January
* Bought C$2.18 bln bonds, led by fed govt business enterprises
* Buy C$2.33 bln in money market paper but sell fed govt paper
* Canadians buy C$6.03 bln in foreign securities
OTTAWA, April 16 (Reuters) - Foreigners returned in a big way to Canadian securities in February, acquiring C$6.08 billion ($5.53 billion) worth, after a modest C$1.22 billion purchase in January and a C$4.28 billion divestment in December.
Statistics Canada said Wednesday that February's purchases by foreigners were matched by C$6.03 billion of Canadian purchases of foreign securities, led by bonds and non-U.S. equities.
After two months of sales, foreigners bought C$2.18 billion of Canadian bonds in February. This was led by C$3.95 billion in purchases of federal government business enterprise bonds, the most since May 2009. (Examples of such enterprises are Export Development Canada and the Canadian Broadcasting Corp.) Continued...