GLOBAL MARKETS-Bounce in oil prices lifts energy shares, U.S. stocks
(Updates with close of U.S. markets)
* Major U.S. indexes gain over 1 pct
* Oil prices rise over 2 pct
* Auto sector weighs on European shares
* Dollar rises against basket of currencies
* Prices for Treasuries, gold drop
By Lewis Krauskopf
NEW YORK, Jan 14 (Reuters) - The energy sector led the beaten-up U.S. stock market higher on Thursday as oil prices rebounded from 12-year lows.
Major U.S. indexes climbed about 2 percent after dropping to 3-1/2 month lows on Wednesday. Gains in stocks and oil also helped push the U.S. dollar higher, while the increases in risk assets reduced demand for safe-haven gold and U.S. government debt. Continued...