UPDATE 2-Fuel cell maker Hydrogenics' loss triples; shares slump
* First-quarter loss widens on higher costs, customer delays
* Sales falls 35 pct, costs rise 22.3 pct
* Backlog up 2.6 pct - slowest growth in three quarters
* Hydrogenics shares down as much as 15 pct
* Ballard Power, Fuel Cell shares also fall (Adds details, analyst comment, updates shares)
By Sneha Banerjee
May 7 (Reuters) - Canadian fuel cell maker Hydrogenics Corp's quarterly net loss tripled as costs jumped and customers delayed taking deliveries, driving the company's shares down as much as 15 percent.
The company's quarterly sales fell for the first time in two years and its order backlog for the first quarter ended March 31 rose 2.6 percent, slower than the growth in the preceding two quarters.
Hydrogenics' results also weighed on the shares of rival fuel cell makers Ballard Power Systems Inc and Fuel Cell Energy Inc. Continued...