UPDATE 3-AstraZeneca to buy Actavis lung drugs as earnings fall short
* Paying Actavis initial $600 mln for N.American lung drugs
* Deal builds on last year's purchase of Almirall drugs
* 2015 core EPS seen growing by low single-digit percent
* Q4 sales $6.68 bln vs consensus $6.79 bln
* Q4 core EPS 76 cents vs consensus 82 cents (Adds further CEO comments on deals, Breakingviews link)
By Ben Hirschler
LONDON, Feb 5 (Reuters) - AstraZeneca said on Thursday it would buy Actavis' branded respiratory drug business in the United States and Canada for an initial $600 million as it reported disappointing fourth-quarter earnings.
AstraZeneca, which is seeking such deals to drive growth, will also pay another $100 million after Actavis agreed to changes in ongoing collaborations between the two firms.
Britain's second-biggest drugmaker said 2015 sales would decline by a mid single-digit percent at constant exchange rates. Continued...