Dick Cheney cancels Toronto talk over security fears
TORONTO (Reuters) - Former Vice-President Dick Cheney has canceled a speaking engagement in Toronto due to security fears sparked by his rough reception at an event in Vancouver last year, the promoter of the speech said.
Cheney, who along with former President George W. Bush remains unpopular in Canada, had been slated to talk about his time in office and the current U.S. political landscape on April 24 in Toronto.
"Basically they felt that it would be a major security issue if Vice-President Cheney came back to Canada," said Ryan Ruppert, president of Spectre Live Corp, which was promoting Cheney's speech.
"They specifically referenced what happened in Vancouver," Ruppert added.
Cheney's appearance at a C$500-a-plate book club dinner in Vancouver last September was marred by protesters who blocked the entrance to the venue and scuffled with police. Cheney was forced to remain inside while police dispersed the demonstrators.
Cheney was Bush's vice-president from 2001 to 2009.
(Reporting By Cameron French; Editing by Peter Galloway)
© Thomson Reuters 2015 All rights reserved.