Interpol seeks Canadian man in dismemberment murder

Thu May 31, 2012 1:25pm EDT
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Louise Egan

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Interpol issued an international arrest warrant on Thursday for a Canadian man suspected of dismembering a male murder victim and mailing body parts to political parties as Canadian police tried to determine if he was responsible for a grisly online video of a beheading.

Montreal police said they believe the suspect, Luka Rocco Magnotta, has fled Canada as they continued to scour his blood-soaked apartment in the city. Police have said a janitor found a headless, limbless torso stuffed into a suitcase in an alley behind the building.

Interpol issued its warrant for Magnotta, 29, a native of the Toronto area who had been living in Montreal. Local police would not confirm a report in the Journal de Montreal newspaper that Magnotta flew to Europe on Saturday using a false name.

"We believe he is out of the country," said Montreal police spokesman Ian Lafreniere.

Police have said Magnotta knew his victim, like him a white male, but gave no indication as to a motive. Magnotta also used the names Eric Clinton Newman and Vladimir Romanov, police said.

Montreal police said they were trying to determine whether Magnotta was responsible for a "snuff" video showing a grisly murder that had been posted on an Internet site specializing in gore. Lafreniere said the video, which police wanted removed from the Internet, showed a beheading and other "unimaginable" horrors.

"All we have found is what's on the Web," Lafreniere told Montreal reporters.

"A lot of people will be very shocked by what they've seen," Lafreniere said, referring to the video.   Continued...