1 Min Read
LAC-MEGANTIC, Quebec (Reuters) - Canadian police expect the death toll from a fatal fuel train blast in a small Quebec town to be more than the one person confirmed dead so far, a spokesman said on Saturday.
The driverless train and 72 tankers of crude oil jumped the tracks in the small town of Lac-Megantic early in the morning and exploded in a massive fireball.
"We have already confirmed one death and we expect there will be others," police spokesman Guy Lapointe told a late-night briefing. He declined to comment on media reports saying anywhere between 40 and 80 people were missing.
Reporting by David Ljunggren; editing by Jackie Frank