Canadian boy is Cuba's fourth flu case: government

Wed May 20, 2009 12:04pm EDT
 
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article
[-] Text [+]

HAVANA (Reuters) - A 14-month-old Canadian boy has become Cuba's fourth confirmed case of H1N1 flu, the Cuban government said on Wednesday.

The boy developed fever and respiratory symptoms shortly after he and his parents arrived from Toronto, the Public Health Ministry said in a statement published in state-run media. It did not mention the date of their arrival.

He was receiving treatment and doing well, the statement said.

Three Mexicans studying medicine in Cuba had previously been diagnosed with H1N1 swine flu after they returned from vacation in Mexico.

The Cuban ministry said they were now well and had returned to their studies.

Cuba suspended flights from Mexico on April 28 to try to prevent the spread of the flu from Mexico, where 72 people have died from the illness.

The flight ban touched off a diplomatic dispute with Mexico in which Mexican President Felipe Calderon, angered by the action, threatened to put off a planned trip to Cuba.

Former Cuban leader Fidel Castro responded by saying Calderon had delayed telling the world about the flu outbreak because he feared it would cause U.S. President Barack Obama to cancel a mid-April visit to Mexico.

Calderon denied the accusation, but his foreign minister said Castro's comments had strained Cuba-Mexico relations that the two sides had been working to improve.

(Reporting by Jeff Franks; editing by Pascal Fletcher and Mohammad Zargham)