Canada's Manley says not Afghan envoy candidate
By David Ljunggren
OTTAWA (Reuters) - Former Canadian Deputy Prime Minister John Manley, responding to renewed talk he could be named the U.N.'s new "super envoy" for Afghanistan, said on Wednesday he was not a candidate and added it would be a bad idea for a Canadian to assume the job "at this point."
The United Nations is looking for someone to replace Britain's Paddy Ashdown, whose appointment was vetoed last month by Afghan President Hamid Karzai.
Although Manley said last week he was not a candidate, diplomats say he is now one of the two front runners, along with Norwegian diplomat Kai Eide.
Manley headed an independent panel which last month urged Canada to pull its military mission out of southern Afghanistan on schedule next year unless NATO committed an extra 1,000 troops to the region. Ottawa accepted the recommendation.
"He again maintains that he is not a candidate and not seeking the job," a source close to Manley told Reuters.
"He feels it's not a good idea for a Canadian at this point to assume a position there, even if it's offered, because our commitment is wobbly and because of the precondition."
Canada's minority Conservative government is close to working out a compromise with opposition legislators to extend the country's combat mission into 2011. Parliament has yet to vote on the compromise, which depends on NATO sending in the extra troops.
The source said twice that the idea of Manley taking up the job "at this point" would not be advisable. This leaves open the possibility that he might be more interested if Canada decided to stay until 2011 and NATO provided more troops. Continued...