Ready to quit Afghanistan, PM tells Bush
OTTAWA (Reuters) - Prime Minister Stephen Harper, reinforcing an ultimatum over Afghanistan, told U.S. President George W. Bush on Wednesday that Ottawa would withdraw its military mission next year unless NATO sent in more troops, officials said.
Canada, which has 2,500 soldiers in the southern city of Kandahar, is fed up with the refusal of other NATO nations to send more forces to the violent region of Afghanistan. The Canadian combat mission there is due to end in February 2009.
Harper said on Monday he accepted the recommendations of an independent panel that urged Canada to end the mission unless NATO provided 1,000 extra soldiers and Ottawa obtained helicopters and aerial reconnaissance vehicles.
A spokeswoman said Harper had talked to Bush on Wednesday about the report.
"He underscored that, unless Canada was able to meet the conditions specified by the panel of additional combat troops and equipment from NATO allies, Canada's mission in Afghanistan will not be extended," she said.
White House spokesman Tony Fratto said Bush pointed out that the United States had already agreed to sent more soldiers to Afghanistan.
"The president noted the deployment of 3,200 additional U.S. Marines to Afghanistan, as well as his continued commitment to work with NATO to enhance its commitment to the Afghanistan mission," Fratto said.
It was not clear whether the additional U.S. troops would meet Canada's condition for more soldiers in Kandahar.
Pentagon press secretary Geoff Morrell said the addition of 2,200 U.S. Marines to southern Afghanistan would provide a lot of the combat power needed in that area. Continued...