1 Min Read
VANCOUVER, British Columbia (Reuters) - The Canadian government canceled plans on Friday to built a national portrait gallery, citing tough economic times.
Several proposals were submitted for the gallery, but none met the government's requirements and it was decided to end the selection process, Heritage Minister James Moore said.
"In this time of global economic instability, it is important that the federal government continue to manage its own affairs prudently and pragmatically," Moore said.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper, whose Conservatives won re-election last month, has acknowledged the slowing economy may cause the government to run a deficit.
The government had not decided on a location for the gallery.
Reporting Allan Dowd, editing by Rob Wilson