Recession hits Toronto film festival, filmmakers

Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:39pm EDT
 
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By John McCrank

TORONTO (Reuters) - The effects of the global recession are forcing big cutbacks in the world of film and could also hamper independent filmmaking for years to come, organizers of the Toronto International Film Festival said on Tuesday.

Festival chief executive Piers Handling said sponsorship funding is down from previous years, meaning cuts to travel and entertainment budgets.

"We've actually had to make some very, very hard decisions, some very difficult decisions," Handling told a news conference announcing some of the top movies. "We literally looked at every single part of the organization, every facet, and we tried to squeeze every single piece of money."

But Handling said the stars will still show up at the premiere-studded 10-day event, which starts on September 10, and the internal cuts would likely not be obvious to audiences.

He hoped the same number of international stars and filmmakers would attend.

Last year, more than 500 stars and special guests attended the festival, which showed over 300 features and short films.

The organizers broke with tradition this year, picking a British film to open the festival, rather than a Canadian selection.

"Creation" tells of Charles Darwin and his struggle to bring the idea of evolution into a world still rooted in faith. It stars real-life husband and wife Paul Bettany and Jennifer Connelly as Mr. and Mrs. Darwin, and pits them on opposite sides of the divide between reason and faith.   Continued...