Shell ordered to delay Montreal refinery conversion

Wed Jul 7, 2010 8:46pm EDT
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article
[-] Text [+]

TORONTO (Reuters) - A Canadian judge has ordered Royal Dutch Shell Plc to halt work to convert its Montreal East refinery into a fuel terminal, the Montreal Gazette newspaper reported on Wednesday.

Quebec Court Judge Claude Auclair issued the order after a union representing refinery workers claimed Shell had not received the province's permission to dismantle the operation in violation of the law, the paper reported on its website (

Shell said it had already applied for the government's authorization and expects to be cleared next week. Meanwhile, it said it would comply with the order.

Last week, the company said the late potential buyer for the 130,000-barrel-a-day refinery had pulled out of the talks, prompting the decision to convert it into a terminal. The move will affect about 500 jobs.

(Reporting by Frank McGurty; Editing by Richard Chang)