Carstens: U.S, Canada not behind any IMF candidate

Tue Jun 7, 2011 5:53pm EDT
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Louise Egan

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Mexican central bank chief Agustin Carstens said on Tuesday he has spoken with Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner and his Canadian counterparts, but neither committed to back his candidacy for the top job at the IMF.

Carstens was in the Canadian capital on Tuesday for meetings with Finance Minister Jim Flaherty and Bank of Canada Governor Mark Carney, touting his experience in crisis management and as a skilled political negotiator.

Besides Carstens, French Finance Minister Christine Lagarde is so far the only other formal candidate for the position of managing director at the International Monetary Fund and is believed to be the front-runner.

"I have talked with Secretary Geithner and basically what he said is what he has repeated more than once, and that is that both Madame Lagarde and myself are credible candidates and that they welcome and are looking forward to an open process," Carstens said.

The job fell vacant after former boss Dominique Strauss-Kahn was arrested on charges of sexually assaulting a hotel maid in New York.

Flaherty suggested additional candidates may emerge before the nomination process closes on Friday.

"We have not taken a decision about supporting either candidate," Flaherty told reporters in Montreal.

"So far, only two, but there is still talk that there might be more than two," he said.   Continued...