Cash-strapped Toronto to announce worker buyouts
By Trish Nixon
TORONTO (Reuters) - Toronto is set to announce an ambitious employee-buyout plan as part of an effort by Canada's biggest city to trim expenses and narrow its $774 million 2012 budget gap.
Jackie DeSouza, director of strategic communications for the city, said on Tuesday that City Manager Joe Pannachetti was scheduled to release details on the plan by the end of the day.
The Globe and Mail newspaper reported that the offer will be floated to almost all of Toronto's 50,000 municipal workers, who would have until September 9 to apply.
The newspaper, which obtained an internal memo from the office of the city manager, said employees who choose to participate will receive a payout worth up to six months of their salary if they agree to quit.
The plan follows Toronto Mayor Rob Ford's release of the first phase of a services review on Monday. The report from KPMG consultants identified areas where the cash-strapped city could cut spending.
Ford came to power last year on a promise to "stop the gravy train" and curb spending at city hall without cutting services.
At the time, he said he would eliminate the city's $503 million 2011 budget deficit and create a $1.7 billion surplus within four years. The 2012 budget deficit is now estimated at$774 million.
However, Monday's report did not reveal much room for cuts. It said that 96 percent of public works services are "core municipal services, either mandatory as a result of provincial legislative requirements or essential to the continued operation of the city." Continued...