Porn film production on hold after Los Angeles syphilis case

Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:31pm EDT
 
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Alex Dobuzinskis

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A porn industry trade group has announced a U.S. moratorium on production of adult sex films after at least one Los Angeles actor tested positive for syphilis, adding to the pressure on porn producers to require the use of condoms on sets.

The actors can return to work in 10 days after taking antibiotics and doctors have recommended treating all adult film actors as a precaution, the Los Angeles-based Free Speech Coalition said in a statement on its website late on Monday.

It added that filming had been halted since the weekend.

"Clearly our industry's priority is the health and well-being of our performers," Diane Duke, the executive director of the Free Speech Coalition, said in the statement.

Porn producers in the Los Angeles area, which is the heart of the U.S. adult film industry and home to an estimated 1,000 performers, are under pressure to ensure condom use on sets to prevent the spread of the AIDS virus and other sexually transmitted diseases.

Existing California workplace laws already mandate the use of condoms by porn performers, but critics say that statute is not specifically aimed at the industry and is widely flouted.

A Los Angeles ballot initiative in November will ask voters to require the county health department to require condom use by adult film performers.

The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health said in a statement on Monday that it was "investigating recent reports of possible cases of syphilis in the adult film industry."   Continued...