TV's 'Domestic Goddess' Nigella tells UK court she took cocaine

Wed Dec 4, 2013 2:06pm EST
 
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Alexander Winning

LONDON (Reuters) - Celebrity cook Nigella Lawson told a court she had taken cocaine several times including when being subjected to "intimate terrorism" by her millionaire ex-husband Charles Saatchi, in the latest dramatic twist in a trial that has gripped Britain.

A well-known TV star and author in Britain and the United States, Lawson also told the court on Wednesday she had smoked cannabis occasionally in the final year of her marriage to art dealer Saatchi but had "never been a drug addict or abuser".

"I don't have a drug problem, I have a life problem," said Lawson, nicknamed the "Domestic Goddess" after the title of one of her best-selling recipe books.

The 53-year-old was testifying at the trial of two of her personal assistants who are facing fraud charges relating to the alleged misuse of 685,000 pounds ($1.12 million) on a credit card belonging to Saatchi's company.

Last week the assistants' defense counsel said there was a tacit understanding they could spend what they liked as long as they did not tell anyone about Lawson's drug use. They deny the fraud charges. The court has also heard Saatchi wrote Lawson an email in which he accused her of being "off her head" on drugs.

Lawson said on Wednesday she had taken cocaine on six occasions with her first husband, journalist John Diamond, as he was dying of throat cancer in 2001.

"It was a small amount but it gave him some escape," said the cook, who is due to feature as a mentor and judge in U.S. TV cooking competition show "The Taste" in the new year, on Walt Disney Co's ABC network.

She said she also used the drug in July 2010. "I was having a very, very difficult time," Lawson said. "I felt subjected to intimate terrorism by Mr. Saatchi," she said.   Continued...

 
Celebrity chef Nigella Lawson leaves Isleworth Crown Court in west London December 4, 2013. REUTERS/Luke Macgregor