British phone-hacking trial revelation shocks actor Jude Law
By Michael Holden
LONDON (Reuters) - Film star Jude Law told Britain's phone-hacking trial on Monday he was not aware a close relative had been paid to leak stories about him to Rupert Murdoch's now defunct News of the World tabloid.
During dramatic testimony at the trial of two of Murdoch's former editors, a shocked Law was passed a note with the name of a close family member he was told was selling details to the paper at the time it printed stories about his ex-girlfriend Sienna Miller and her affair with James Bond actor Daniel Craig.
Asked when he had first learned of this suggestion, Law, whose voice cracked slightly, told the packed courtroom: "Today. I wasn't aware of that."
Law, 41, is the most high-profile figure to give evidence at the trial, which began at the end of October last year, of Andy Coulson and Rebekah Brooks, former editors of the News of the World. They deny charges relating to phone-hacking.
"You are probably the first witness who I don't need to ask who you are or what you do," prosecutor Andrew Edis told him.
The jury was told that personal details relating to Law and those close to him had been found on notebooks at the home of Glenn Mulcaire, a private investigator for the News of the World who has admitted phone-hacking charges.
The numbers included the cell phone for his ex-agent in Los Angeles and of mobiles he had been loaned by film companies while working on movies such as "Cold Mountain" in the United States from 2003 to 2005.
He confirmed that recordings of voicemail messages he had left for his nanny were also found at Mulcaire's home. Continued...