Allies come to Woody Allen's defense on abuse allegations

Tue Feb 4, 2014 9:25pm EST
 
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Piya Sinha-Roy

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The long-time lawyer of Woody Allen and veteran journalist Barbara Walters came out in support of the Oscar-winning filmmaker on Tuesday following renewed allegations of sexual abuse from his adopted daughter, Dylan Farrow.

Elkan Abramowitz, who represented Allen at the time of the original investigation into abuse two decades ago, told NBC News that the "timing is suspect," and linked the accusations to Allen's recent Golden Globes life achievement award.

"Nothing's happened, they haven't had any relationship for the last 20 years. So all of a sudden we're seeing these allegations surface again, and one has to wonder why," Abramowitz told NBC's "Today" show.

"He is innocent," he said. "The case is over - there is no case."

The campaign for Allen comes as the 6,000-plus members of the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts & Sciences prepare to vote for the Oscars next week, ahead of the March 2 ceremony. Allen's film "Blue Jasmine" has three nominations, including best original screenplay for Allen and best actress for Cate Blanchett, the favorite to win.

Last week, in a letter published by The New York Times, Dylan Farrow repeated her allegations that Allen sexually assaulted her in the Connecticut house where she lived with her mother, Allen's then-girlfriend Mia Farrow. r.reuters.com/ryn56v

Allen was never charged in the case and Connecticut prosecutors said this week there is no current investigation into the allegations.

While it is unclear how the controversy might affect the film's Oscar fortunes, awards handicappers say they can't rule out a negative impact.   Continued...

 
U.S. director Woody Allen poses during the premiere of his film "Blue Jasmine" in Paris in this August 27, 2013 file photo. REUTERS/Charles Platiau/Files