Miami officials seek to end annual Ultra music fest, cite 'chaos'

Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:56pm EDT
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Zachary Fagenson

MIAMI (Reuters) - The mayor and other Miami officials are calling for the end of the annual Ultra electronic dance music festival after a security guard was trampled and rushed to the hospital with brain injuries when gate-crashers broke through a security fence during the three-day event.

The 28-year-old woman, who worked for a security firm, remained in critical condition Monday, according to Miami police spokesman Freddie Cruz.

"I think we should not have Ultra next year here," Miami mayor Tomas Regalado told the Miami Herald over the weekend. "We don't want to be showcased as the city of chaos."

He said festival organizers "acted irresponsibly" by failing to provide enough security at downtown Bayfront Park.

More than 160,000 people attended the festival, now in its 16th year, according to Ultra spokeswoman Alexandra Greenberg. Police arrested 84 people and made more than 150 rescue runs.

"The event coordinators are cooperating fully with investigative authorities," Greenberg said.

At last year's festival, a 20-year-old woman died following a drug overdose.

Authorities are also investigating the death of a 21-year-old man who collapsed after attending the Ultra festival on Saturday, according to a Miami police spokesman.   Continued...