Polish prosecutors question Polanski over U.S. sex crime warrant
By Wojciech Zurawski
KRAKOW (Reuters) - Polish prosecutors interviewed filmmaker Roman Polanski on Thursday in connection with a U.S. arrest warrant over a 1977 sex crime conviction, then let him go free saying there were no grounds to hold him.
Polanski plans to shoot a film in Poland next year, and his lawyers have said they were seeking assurances he would not risk arrest under the U.S. warrant, as happened five years ago when he traveled to Switzerland.
His lawyers said the decision by prosecutors in the southern Polish city of Krakow to take no action meant that Polanski, who was born to Polish parents but lives in France, was now free to travel back and forth to Poland.
In an interview from Krakow with Polish television, Polanski declined to answer questions about the legal issues, saying only he hoped the question of whether Poland would extradite him had now been settled "once and for all".
He will come back to Poland for an extended period starting early next year, to work on the film and also to "show Poland, which they barely know, to my growing children," he told the TVN24 broadcaster.
The filmmaker, director of classics including "Rosemary's Baby" and "Chinatown", is planning to shoot a film in Krakow about the 19th century Dreyfus affair.
Boguslawa Marcinkowska, spokeswoman for the district prosecutor's office in Krakow, said prosecutors, acting on a request from the U.S. authorities, summoned Polanski for an interview earlier on Thursday.
He presented himself at the prosecutor's office, and complied with a request to provide prosecutors with his contact details and details of his place of residence. Continued...