Rap mogul Knight hospitalized after plea in California

Tue Feb 3, 2015 5:18pm EST
 
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Daina Beth Solomon

COMPTON, Calif. (Reuters) - Rap mogul Marion "Suge" Knight was hospitalized shortly after he pleaded not guilty on Tuesday in Compton, California, to charges including murder in a fatal hit-and-run incident last week.

Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department spokeswoman Sergeant Pauline Panis said Knight was taken to the hospital for a medical condition but declined to elaborate.

The 49-year-old co-founder of influential hip-hop label Death Row Records, was in handcuffs and an orange jail jumpsuit when he stood in a partitioned box at the side of the courtroom for his hearing in Compton, south of downtown Los Angeles.

On Tuesday morning, when the judge asked if he pleaded not guilty, Knight replied, "Yes, your honor." He was taken to a hospital after the court appearance.

He has been charged with murder, attempted murder and two counts of felony hit-and-run, prosecutors said.

He is accused of running over two men on Thursday in a pickup truck, killing one, in an incident that began with an argument in the parking lot of a Compton fast-food restaurant.

Knight and another man began throwing punches at each other through the window of the rap tycoon's Ford F-150 Raptor pickup before he put the vehicle in reverse, knocking the man to the ground, the sheriff's department has said.

Knight then pulled forward, running over one man and striking the second before leaving the scene, according to the sheriff's department. One of the men, identified as 55-year-old Terry Carter, later died.   Continued...

 
Rap mogul Suge Knight stands in court during his arraignment on murder charges at the Compton Courthouse in Compton, California February 3, 2015.  REUTERS/Paul Buck