Olympic champion Bruce Jenner sued for wrongful death in car crash

Fri May 1, 2015 7:59pm EDT
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Steve Gorman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Olympic champion and reality television star Bruce Jenner was sued for negligence and wrongful death on Friday by relatives of a woman killed in a car crash involving the former athlete on a Southern California highway in February.

The complaint was filed in Los Angeles Superior Court by two stepchildren of Kimberly Howe, who died in the Feb. 7 collision on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu that sheriff's deputies said had left five other people injured.

The lawsuit claims Jenner was driving his Cadillac Escalade, towing a trailer with an off-road vehicle, when he struck Howe's car from the rear, propelling her automobile into oncoming traffic, and she collided head-on with another vehicle.

According to the suit, Jenner "violated the rules of the road" and was "negligent, careless and reckless" in causing the wreck, though the six-page complaint did not specify how Jenner was alleged to have been at fault. By contrast, Howe was "acting with due caution, attention and care" and did not contribute to the crash, the suit said.

Jenner's publicist, Alan Nierob, declined comment on the case.

The wrongful death claim seeks unspecified damages for the personal loss of Howe and her financial support to her stepdaughter, Dana Redmond, and stepson William Howe.

Kimberly Howe's obituary said she and her deceased husband of 32 years ran a national health food business, and that she previously played bit parts in several Elvis Presley movies.

The suit came one week after Jenner declared in a nationally televised interview that he identifies as a woman, becoming the most high-profile American to come out as transgender. Nierob, however, has said Jenner still prefers to be referred to with male pronouns.   Continued...