Cosby deposition in sex assault lawsuit to be sealed until review

Wed Oct 7, 2015 6:53pm EDT
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

By Daina Beth Solomon

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A Los Angeles judge ruled on Wednesday that Bill Cosby's upcoming deposition in a lawsuit brought by a woman accusing the veteran comedian of sexually abusing her will be sealed at least until December, said an attorney for the accuser. 

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Craig Karlan said he would determine at a December hearing which parts of the deposition could be made public after reviewing the transcript, according to attorney Gloria Allred, who represents accuser Judy Huth.

The civil lawsuit, filed last year, alleges that Cosby sexually assaulted Huth when she was aged 15 in 1974 at Hugh Hefner's Los Angeles Playboy Mansion.

Karlan's decision came after Cosby, 78, requested a protective order to keep his Oct. 9 deposition confidential, a move that Allred opposed, telling reporters last week, "There should be transparency." 

Representatives for Cosby declined to comment on Wednesday.

Previously, the comedian's attorney Martin Singer had called Huth's allegations false and "defamatory.”

This will mark the first time Cosby has been directed to testify under oath in response to sexual misconduct complaints since a deposition he gave in a Pennsylvania case he settled out of court nine years ago.

In the past year, more than 50 women have come forward with allegations against Cosby including drugging, sexual harassment, sexual assault and rape, but as most incidents date back decades, it puts them outside the statute of limitations for legal action.   Continued...

Actor Bill Cosby speaks at the National Action Network's 20th annual Keepers of the Dream Awards gala in New York April 6, 2011.  REUTERS/Lucas Jackson