Batman star Bale escapes charges in family row

Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:04pm EDT
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article
[-] Text [+]

LONDON (Reuters) - Batman movie star Christian Bale will not face charges after his mother and sister alleged he had assaulted them in a London hotel last month, Britain's prosecution service said on Thursday.

The Welsh-born 34-year-old actor, currently starring in one of Hollywood's most successful blockbusters "The Dark Knight," was released on bail without charge in late July after being questioned by London police.

The allegations had been made at the same time as The Dark Knight debuted in Europe.

"Taking all the factors into consideration, the decision has been taken that there is insufficient evidence to afford a realistic prospect of conviction, and accordingly the police have been advised that no further action should be taken against Mr. Bale," the Crown Prosecution Service said.

"Whilst the CPS treats all incidents which take place in a domestic context seriously, it is important that the views of complainants are also taken into account when making decisions in such cases."

The latest Batman film shattered box office records by grossing nearly $160 million during its first three days in North American theatres.

(Reporting by Matt Falloon and Tim Castle, editing by Tim Pearce)

<p>British actor Christian Bale arrives for the European premiere of "The Dark Knight" in Leicester Square in central London July 21 2008. REUTERS/Toby Melville</p>