Striking writers sound upbeat note on latest talks
By Steve Gorman
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Striking screenwriters and Hollywood studio executives ended a second straight day of contract talks on Wednesday on the most upbeat note yet during the month-old walkout.
"For the last two days, we have had substantive discussions of the issues important to writers, the first time this has occurred in this negotiation," the Writers Guild of America said in a statement as talks adjourned for the day.
"However, we are still waiting for the (studios) to respond to all of our proposals," the union said, adding that the two sides would return to the bargaining table for a third day in a row on Thursday morning.
The union's conciliatory tone was the strongest sign yet that progress was being made toward reaching a deal to end the strike, which began on November 5 after months of rancor over how much screenwriters should be paid for work shown on the Internet.
It has become the worst labor crisis to hit the U.S. film and TV industry in 20 years, halting production on dozens of TV shows, including most of the major networks' prime-time series, as well as several high-profile movies, including a planned sequel to "The Da Vinci Code."
Thousands of non-writing film and TV workers have been idled, along with the 10,500 WGA members on picket lines.
The writers' Wednesday statement contrasted sharply with the antagonistic stance the union took when an earlier four-day round of talks broke off last week with the WGA dismissing a new set of proposals on from the studios as a "massive rollback."
The parties renewed the talks five days later, on Tuesday, and the WGA presented a counteroffer on payments for Internet streaming of television shows and movies. Continued...