Actress Sienna Miller wins privacy damages

Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:35am EST
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

LONDON (Reuters) - Actress Sienna Miller has been awarded 35,000 pounds in damages from two tabloid newspapers after they agreed an out of court settlement over claims they had breached her privacy, her lawyers said on Monday.

Miller, star of movies such as "Layer Cake" and "Alfie," had sued the Sun and News of the World papers over a series of what her lawyer said were intrusive articles and photos published in June and July.

In a statement, Mark Thomson of law firm Carter-Ruck said terms of the settlement were approved by London's High Court, with the papers' publishers News Group Newspapers agreeing to pay the damages and Miller's legal costs.

Thomson cited a letter from Tom Crone, News Group Newspapers' senior lawyer, which said the papers admitted they had been at fault.

"We acknowledged that on the specific facts and circumstances of this case you had a reasonable expectation of privacy in respect of the information and the photographs that we published," the letter said.

"We also accept that we should not have published such information or photographs."

Miller's private life and particularly her romantic liaisons have long been staple fodder for the tabloid press.

Carter-Ruck said Miller was still pursuing a legal case against photographic agency Big Pictures (UK) Limited which she claims was guilty of harassment and invasion of privacy.

At a preliminary hearing last month, the High Court heard that her life had been made "intolerable" by the paparazzi, who had chased her while driving and pursued as she walked her dogs in the park.   Continued...

<p>Sienna Miller arrives at the BAFTA (British Academy of Film and Television Arts) awards ceremony at The Royal Opera House in London February 10, 2008. REUTERS/Stephen Hird</p>