Horror director picked for third "Twilight" film

Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:16pm EDT
 
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article
[-] Text [+]

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The studio behind last year's blockbuster vampire movie "Twilight" said on Wednesday that "30 Days of Night" director David Slade will make the third film in the series, due out in summer 2010.

Stephenie Meyer, the author of the popular book series that the film franchise is based on, welcomed Slade's selection by closely held studio Summit Entertainment, and said in a statement that Slade is a "visionary filmmaker."

Slade's 2007 horror movie "30 Days of Night," which revolved around vampires in Alaska, made $75 million (51.86 pounds) at global box offices. He made his breakthrough the year before with the indie thriller "Hard Candy," starring a pre-"Juno" Ellen Page.

Director Chris Weitz, who directed the 1999 comedy "American Pie," recently began filming the sequel to "Twilight" in Vancouver.

When Summit chose Weitz for the film, which is titled "New Moon," some fans of "Twilight" director Catherine Hardwicke decried her replacement. "Twilight" was released in November and made $380 million at worldwide box offices.

The "Twilight" book and film franchise has mainly appealed to girls and young women, and it follows the star-crossed love affair between a teenage girl and an immortal vampire.

(Reporting by Alex Dobuzinskis: Editing by Bob Tourtellotte)

 
<p>The director of "30 Days of Night", David Slade, attends the film's premiere at Grauman's Chinese Theater in Hollywood October 16, 2007. REUTERS/Phil McCarten</p>