LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Michael Jackson’s father has said the “King of Pop” will be buried at a Los Angeles cemetery on August 29, which would have been his 51st birthday, a newspaper reported on Monday.
Joe Jackson told the New York Daily News that the plan was finalized in recent days.
Media reports last week said Jackson, who died June 25 of cardiac arrest, was buried in a private ceremony in early August. But those reports were based on unnamed sources and never confirmed by Jackson family representatives.
A Jackson family spokesman was not immediately available Monday to comment on the Daily News story, nor was a spokesman at Los Angeles’ Forest Lawn cemetery, where Joe Jackson said his son would be buried.
A public memorial for the singer was held in July, but there was never an official confirmation that the “Thriller” singer was buried after the event.
The reason behind Jackson’s cardiac arrest remains a mystery. The Los Angeles County Coroner’s office has completed its autopsy report but its findings remain sealed until police conclude their investigation.
Los Angeles police are looking into the role prescription drugs may have played in Jackson’s death and the actions of doctors who were treating him in the weeks before he died.
Reporting by Alex Dobuzinskis: Editing by Bob Tourtellotte and Phil Stewart