CBS says business as usual with Charlie Sheen

Sat Jan 9, 2010 3:45pm EST
 
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article
[-] Text [+]

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - CBS TV executives steered clear of the domestic violence allegations surrounding TV star Charlie Sheen, saying on Saturday it was business as usual on the set of his hit show "Two and a Half Men."

"Charlie is a consummate pro. He shows up and he delivers," said Chuck Lorre, an executive producer of "Two and a Half Men," the most popular comedy on U.S. television.

Sheen was arrested on Christmas Day in the ski resort of Aspen, Colorado, after wife Brooke Mueller told police he had pulled a knife on her and threatened to have her killed during an argument about their 20-month marriage.

Prosecutors have yet to decide whether to press formal charges against Sheen, 44, who has a history of violent behavior toward women.

CBS Corp's CBS entertainment president Nina Tassler told a meeting of TV reporters that taping of the first show since the incident took place on Friday and that CBS regarded the matter as personal.

"We are being very sensitive to the fact that this is a very personal and very private matter for Charlie," Tassler said. "Right now it is business as usual."

Underwear makers Hanes ended their advertising campaign with Sheen after his December 25 arrest citing the seriousness of the charges against him.

Sheen pleaded no contest to a battery charge in 1997 in connection with an attack on a girlfriend. His second wife, actress Denise Richards, obtained a restraining order against Sheen in 2006, claiming he had been physically abusive toward her.

"Two and a Half Men" in which Sheen plays a womanizing Malibu bachelor, is the most-watched comedy on U.S. television with more than 11 million viewers an episode.

(Reporting and writing by Jill Serjeant; Editing by Bill Trott)