Official says no charge yet against Jackson doctor

Fri Jan 8, 2010 4:35pm EST
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article
[-] Text [+]

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The Los Angeles prosecutor's office on Friday said it has not yet decided whether to charge Michael Jackson's doctor with a crime in the pop singer's sudden death by cardiac arrest last June.

"We have nothing pending. No decision has been made and nothing has been filed," said a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles County District Attorney's office. She declined further comment.

Earlier on Friday, celebrity website cited unnamed law enforcement sources as saying Los Angeles police concluded their final investigation in late December and would send their findings to the Los Angeles district attorney within weeks to determine whether to file criminal charges.

TMZ and other publications, also citing unnamed sources, said prosecutors may charge Dr. Conrad Murray with involuntary manslaughter due to gross negligence in his treatment of the "Thriller" singer, to whom the doctor administered the powerful anesthetic propofol before his death.

Jackson, 50, died on June 25 in Los Angeles, and the county coroner's office has ruled the death a homicide by drug overdose, determining that propofol and the sedative Lorazepam were the main drugs that caused his death.

Speculation about a possible charge against Murray has been brewing for months. Murray, a cardiologist with offices in Houston and Las Vegas, was hired to care for Jackson while the singer prepared for a series of comeback concerts.

Murray has told investigators he was not the first doctor to give Jackson propofol, according to court records.

(Editing by Bill Trott)

<p>Dr. Conrad Murray arrives at the Armstrong Medical Clinic in Houston November 23, 2009. REUTERS/Richard Carson</p>