Woods crash ambulance crew cited domestic violence

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:58pm EST
Email This Article |
Share This Article
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
| Print This Article | Single Page
[-] Text [+]

MIAMI (Reuters) - The ambulance crew that took golfer Tiger Woods from the scene of his fateful car crash last year did not let his wife ride with him because they said the incident was a case of domestic violence, according to Florida police records cited by a local newspaper on Friday.

The new information from Florida Highway Patrol records, quoted by the Orlando Sentinel, once again raised the possibility of domestic violence on November 27 between Woods and his wife Elin Nordegren, although Woods has repeatedly denied this.

The bizarre early morning accident, in which Woods hit a hedge, fire hydrant and tree while leaving his luxury mansion, triggered revelations of repeated affairs by the world's No. 1 golfer, who bowed out of the game.

Last month, in his first public appearance since his spectacular fall from grace which rocked his multimillion-dollar sponsors, Woods apologized to family and fans for cheating on his wife, and said he was undergoing therapy.

But he denied there had been any physical violence between him and his wife. "Elin never hit me that night or any other night," he said. "There has never been an episode of domestic violence in our marriage, ever."

The Orlando Sentinel said new Florida Highway Patrol records, released following a December 16 public records request by the newspaper, showed that when Nordegren tried to ride in the ambulance to the hospital with her hurt husband after the crash, the crew would not let her, saying this was a case of domestic violence.


The records said Nordegren told officers that after the crash, she used a golf club to break the rear windows of her husband's black SUV, and helped him out. An officer at the scene saw Woods' lower lip was cut, the police records said.

The officer asked Nordegren "if he had been drinking and she stated no, that he had taken his medication earlier, but did not provide a time. The medication was Vicodin," the police report said. She went back into the house and came back with two small bottles of the pain medicine, the records said.   Continued...